Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring Break: Vegas Baby!

My Spring Break was March 10-17. It was fantastic to get a break from school! My sister Victoria had her Spring Break at the same time, so I got to spend some time with her. We worked out, went shopping, and had lots of fun! We also went to Zumba and out to lunch with my mom on another day. It was a great time! Unfortunately, she did not get her mission call that day as expected, and we left the next day for Vegas! She got her call after we had left. Fortunately we have modern technology and were able to Skype to see her open her call. She leaves for the Washington, D.C. South Mission on June 26th! I'm so excited for her, but I'll miss her very much!
Victoria and I 

We went to Las Vegas with our friends Devin and Lisa on March 14-16. It was SO much fun to get away and have a vacation- just what I needed since school has been so stressful lately. We drove there, which took about 5 hours I think including a stop for lunch.

 Vegas bound!

We stopped at El Pollo Loco for lunch- delicious!

When we got to Vegas, we still had a couple of hours to pass before we were able to check in to our hotel- the Cancun Resort. We decided to stop by The Gold and Silver Pawn- which is the pawn shop featured in History Channel's "Pawn Stars"- a TV show we enjoy watching. However, there was a HUGE line to get in, so we just took pictures in front of it instead of waiting in the long line. Some people said they don't let you don't go into the area you see in the show and the people don't come out, they just have merchandise.

 The Gold and Silver Pawn



We were there!

A silly sign behind the pawn shop




 We still had extra time, so we decided to visit the Las Vegas Temple and walk around the grounds. It had a very different design than any of the temples I've seen in Utah. It was very pretty! The grounds were gorgeous as well. It's always nice to visit the temple!

 The temple grounds were gorgeous to walk around

 The whole group

By the entrance

When we checked in, we settled in to the hotel and watched my sister open her mission call (see above). Then we got some dinner and sat in the hot tub. Unfortunately, I started feeling terrible that night! I got a UTI and we had to find an urgent care to go to so I could get the antibiotics for it. Unfortunately, we didn't know if it was open until the morning, so I was miserable that night. I had Randy and Devin give me a blessing to help me feel better. Devin also had some medicine I could take in the morning to feel better for the time being. Early in the morning, we went to the urgent care and got the problem taken care of so I could enjoy the rest of our trip! We started the day by going to the pool- swimming, waterslides, hot tub, and sunbathing. It was fun and relaxing!

Relaxing in a hammock by the pool


 We enjoyed swimming and soaking in the hot tub!
 There were also some waterslides that were surprisingly funner and faster than we thought they would be!

 Fun in the sun!

After we finished swimming, we cleaned up and headed to the Las Vegas Strip. There was so much to see there and lots of crazy people. It made for some fun people watching. We also saw several of the free shows along the strip while we were there, including the fountains at the Bellagio (twice), the volcano at the Mirage, and the pirate show at Treasure Island. The first two were really cool, but the pirate show was not quite what we were expecting. It was kind of inappropriate! I guess that's what you get at Las Vegas, though! Definitely somewhere we would need to be careful if we ever took our kids there. But it was an awesome vacation to go on with some friends and we were able to find lots of things to do for free or very cheap!


 The "Eiffel Tower" and a giant shoe

 The fountains at the Bellagio (this is from the first time we saw it)


 Randy and I each put a dollar into the Pawn Stars slot machine, just for kicks and giggles. (And we lost- this is why we don't really gamble).


 We got dinner at the Harvey Davidson Cafe

 Someone got married at the Cafe earlier that day, so we posed for a picture

 We also checked out the awesome motorcycles they had on display (how cool is that tiger one!?)

 We even ran into the "Batman" cast... The heroes and villans were all drinking buddies! We tried to get a picture of them just sitting at the table because it was so funny, but instead they took it with us and insisted they get a tip (lame). 

 Waiting for the Treasure Island show

 Waiting for the Mirage show

The volcano was REALLY cool. The only problem was my eyes are sensitive so it made my eyes water, so I couldn't look right at it the whole time!


After we finished with the strip for the night, we headed back to the hotel and soaked in the hot tub. Then we made (virgin) strawberry daiquiris. They were delicious! The next day we woke up early to check out. Then we headed back to the strip to see a few more things we missed before heading back home. We went to the M&M factory and watched their free 3D movie. Randy also got a few of the souvineer pennies that he collects. Then we headed over to the Coca Cola factory. We got the sampler tray that they had which included samples of 16 Coca-Cola brand sodas from countries all over the world. Some of them were okay, some of them were bad, and one of them was downright NASTY. I was the first to try it and it was so awful. Everyone else had to try it just to see how awful it was. Then we dared Devin to finish it off. And he did.

 Before the 3D movie

 Souvineer penny

 Ready to try the drinks!

 Devin finishing the terrible one

The whole group- just wish the lighting didn't block our faces!

For our last activity before we left to head home, we headed to the Flamingo casino to see their "wildlife exhibit." It ended up just being a small areas with some waterfalls, flamingos and fish. It wasn't anything too impressive. But, we snapped a couple last pictures before heading home.

 Note: I had to upload this picture because Randy looks like such a stud, but look how grungy and gross I look! Hardly any time to get ready before check out :( Can't believe I'm standing next to him ;)

Devin and Lisa

Overall, it was SUCH a fun trip and Spring Break was fantastic! I've gotta say, going back to school and work was SO hard though. Well mostly just school. This week has been insane and next week is going to be pretty crazy too. But at least the weekend will be here soon! :) This was a very long post, so if you actually got to this point, well, thanks for actually reading! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!